Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pink Kettle Corn

Kettle corn is one of the greatest yummies of all time. So the other day I brought some to our Craft Kitchen Valentine session. I got a good response from the kids and some adults who got the chance to sample it, so here is the recipe. My recipe comes from the Whirley Pop recipe booklet.

1/3 c. unpopped popcorn
4 T. sugar
4 T. canola oil (I used vegetable)
1/2 t. vanilla
6-8 drops of red food coloring
dash of salt (I think it adds some depth of flavor)

You should use a Whirley Pop type of popper. Unless, you have another method that will mix while popping. You can dump all of the ingredients into the popper, and then mix together while popping. Take off heat when you hear no more popping. Pour onto cookie sheet and let cool for 5-10 minutes if you can wait that long. I suggest you wait, because it is super hot, and surely you will burn your tongue if you taste it right away. I know, I've done it. You can use any food coloring. It looks nice and festive. Just a note: I tried using candy food coloring, and way too much I might add. The popcorn looked great, but it tasted horrible. So I think I'll stick with liquid food coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment