Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sharpie Tie-dye T-shirts

Today was a great day. I didn't think that this project would be such a hit. Our Tie-dye t-shirts done with sharpies was super fun. As you can see from the photos the kids didn't want to stop. We suggested that they at least do three different "circles", and they took that and ran with it. It was great watching them get excited to watch their designs "grow". The project uses sharpies and rubbing alcohol. It is a process based on dispersion. The alcohol disperses the ink outward to make it look like it is bleeding or tie-dyeing. It was pretty funny during the project when the children were done with the drawing portion they would continuosly say, "I need more alcohol! I need more alcohol!" Of course they meant rubbing alcohol. It was one of the best projects so far I think. I certainly have my favorites, but the kids seemed to really connect to this one. We also worked on part one of our project for next week, silk screening. The kids all drew their design this week, and next week we will be silk screening pillows. Silk screening always tends to get a good reaction from the kids. It has that "wow" factor, and I myself never get tired of doing it. We also read "There's a Wocket In My Pocket" by Dr. Seuss since it was the last day of the Read-A-Thon at the school, and the theme was based around the author. Final note: I love the photo of all the kids modeling their shirts, they couldn't wait toput them on, which was extremely satisfying for us.






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment