Sunday, January 9, 2011

Winter Session Week two

Winter Theme- Sleds, Snowmen & Cocoa

Coming from a farm and experiencing all of the seasons I do miss the snow and those things that come with it, like snow days. It's all about winter this week. Even though here in California it may not seem like winter, based on the calendar system, we are in the midst of it. We will be making all things that are related to winter, sleds, snowmen, and we can't forget hot cocoa. I remember those days of sledding down our small hill when I was young on a toboggan, saucers, and the good old sled with metal railings. We made our own mini version that could be used on any future Christmas tree, or just for play.

You of course can't leave out snowmen when talking about the winter season and snow. All that time rolling those awkward, never quite the perfect sphere you dream about, snowballs large, medium, and small for your own snowman. Though I've got to say I love snowmen no matter how big, small or awkward. They are a labor of love. So, we thought the kids would enjoy making their own perfectly round, mini version of a snowman donned with ear muffs, as well, to go on their sled. Some kids thought they were birds, though the nose is supposed to be a carrot and not a beak, but it could be a penguin?

After all that playing outside, it was always the best to know when you came in out of the cold there would be some hot cocoa with marshmallows waiting for you. All of that chocolate yumminess I think I might need to go get myself some right now. The kids get the opportunity to make their own hot cocoa mix from scratch. All of the children participated adding ingredients to the mix, stirring it up, and scooping out their own cocoa mix into a bag to take home to share. I used the recipe from Alton Brown, and I have made it before and it was a nice treat to have around. Plus, it lasts a really long time. We used cocoa (we used regular Hershey's but dutch processed preferred), dry milk (we had a mixture of whole and non-fat), confectioners sugar, cornstarch, and salt and mix together. You can use anywhere from 4 T. - 6 T. of cocoa to about 6-8 oz. of hot water (depending on mug size). I like mine on the thicker side so I use a bit more, but use our instructions as a guide and adjust to your taste. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment